Tuesday 7 May 2013

READING WEEK-STACK BOOKS, NOT MONEY

That's a nice notion isn't it 'Stack Books, Not Money'. I'm coining that one. Alas though we all need cash. Then again with all these bargain books perhaps not. The reading list continues folks. Here's this week...

WE BOUGHT A ZOO: £1, just a pound. Ok, I'll stop boasting. This book by Benjamin Mee was turned into an underrated and criminally ignored, feel-good film by 'Jerry Maguire' director Cameron Crowe. The great film makes for a great book too, heartbreaking in parts but insightful and inspiring in others. This true story of a Zoo should be visited more like these amazing attractions. In this book, you'll laugh cry and learn more about animals than meets the Zookeepers eye. Like the Zoo, just buy it!

TEN POEMS TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE: I dug this old book out of the cupboard last week. It was a book my best friends parents bought me for my 18th birthday. That was only...almost a decade ago. Maaan I'm old. Still this analysis of ten top poems is well worth a revisit. From the great Walt Whitman to sonnets about socks this truly is something special. Will it change your life? Maybe, it depends on how you take it. One man's poem is another man's Twitter quote, but in this digital age of boasts it's nice to take it back to something that looks inward. Don't read too much into it, but at the same time give it some consideration. Poetry is a lost art from the heart (hey I'm a poet and I didn...never mind) that if done the right way is adventurous not pretentious.

THE HOBBIT: What more can you say about this classic, timeless book? With the trilogy of films truly begun with last years 'Unexpected Journey' it's time to read into the story that came before the epic 'Lord Of The Rings'. On another rummage throught the cupboard, I found this book that my parents had brought before I was even born (and we all know that was a long time ago...1985 hey). Every parent should read this book to their kids, hey every household has one. Before every home had an iPhone or a Kindle they had the beautifully illustrated and incredible, fascinating fantasy world of J.R.R. Tolkien in their hands. Sure I may have runied the films for myself now (and for a friend...I'm sorry buddy) but nothing tells the story better than reading it by nightlight. Do it...tonight! TIM DAVID HARVEY

No comments:

Post a Comment