Friday 9 May 2014

BOOK REPORT

Long time no read! It's been awhile, but we're back between the pages. Read all about it...

SUGAR RAY LEONARD-THE BIG FIGHT: "Tim I hope you gain something from my mistakes and accomplishments in my life and career!" That's amazingly what the great Sugar Ray Leonard said to me on Twitter in reply when I tweeted that I was reading his autobiography. What a legend indeed and what a read. Inspiring, insightful, heartfelt and honest I certainly did learn something from the ropes to the belt and just like Ali's 'Soul Of A Butterfly' was moved to inspiration by this prose that floated like a butterfly and stung in lessons learned like a son of a bee. A basketball fan by nature, boxing isn't my first love when it comes to sport but it makes for an oddly nurturing read in the knock down and get back up themes and elements of these life stories that play out better than 'Rocky'. I could use all the 'pull no punches', 'knockout' cliches I'd desire but this champs book is exactly the motivator you need in your corner when the lights go out.


SHANIA TWAIN-FROM THIS MOMENT ON: Man I'm feeling this woman! It's not just me and my best friend who without shame admit to being fans of this singer...albeit to my girfriends amazement and amusement. There's also legions of men attending the country diamond singers Las Vegas residency for their wedding anniversary...actually dragging their wives along! I may not be singing 'Man I Feel Like A Woman' every Friday, but I do love her beautiful ballads from 'You've Got A Way', 'You're Still The One, 'Forever, Always' and the title of this amazing autobiography 'From This Moment On'. From the darkness of depression, divorce, atrocious abuse and disheartened disregard this woman has been through a lot of black eyes and blue tears, but she's come out of it all smiling and singing feel-good songs of fun that fuse together pop and country until they fix platinum plaques on the walls of her house she built. With a deeply poignant and powerful read-just like those who read the lyrics of the album tracks-there's so much more to this woman than the looks and the big budget videos. When you read all about who she really is THAT will impress you much.

CORMAC McCARTHY-NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN: From 'All The Pretty Horses' to 'The Counsellor' todays legendary author Cormac McCarthy has laid the script work for some of Hollywood's best pictures today. Just call him a country and western Phillip K. Dick, showing the real America in the heart of all it's chapter and verse. His standout and our first tour with him has to be 'No Country For Old Men'. The film that gave the Coen Brothers their best classic and introduced the world to the acting spurs of Josh Brolin and the perfectly psychotic mad world of villain Javier Bardem stuns you to the core like a cattle gun. A film that the weathered and worn cop work of amazing actor Tommy Lee Jones was born to play this story leaps off the pages to your senses before it makes the screens. There's not a lot wrote today that could best this story. Tense, powerful, gripping and entertaining you don't need motion pictures to catch your wonder. Just these well wrote words. Cormac really is the man. There will always be room for him in this country. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment